Friday, January 7, 2011

Mental fender benders: how to avoid them during unsavoury situations

For those who haven't read them, I highly recommend

A simple freedom : the strong mind of Robben Island prisoner no. 468/64  which is a selection of Ahmed Kathrada's 
favourite quotes and writings during his imprisonment, 
Man's search for meaning  by Victor Frankl
The Road Less Travelled  by M Scott Peck
Even Silence Has an End  by Ingrid Betancourt
and, well, anything by Nelson Mandela.

I also highly recommend the poem below. A schoolmate of mine, Bethany Dawson (née Morrison) wrote it twelve years ago. The last two lines have become somewhat of a mantra for me over the years through the ups and downs and especially during the very scary times in between when there is nothing, no highs or lows, no fears or joys, no expectation, no anticipation, just oblivion...

Breaking Free


by Bethany, aged 15

Trapped in my prison

The walls are too high

I long to touch the grass

But I can only glimpse the sky.


                         Life is all restrictions

                         Things I cannot do

                         People I cannot be with

                         Dreams that won’t come true.


I want to have my freedom

Feel what it is to fly

But until my chains are broken

I cannot even try.


                        Freedom is not only breaking out

                        On to unfamiliar ground

                        It is looking inside your heart

                        Until answers can be found.


When I know myself

And search the depths of me

I will loosen the cords that bind

And finally be free.


                         Even though I cannot move

                         I think I might just find

                         A place of hope inside me

                         Freedom in my mind.


© Bethany Morrison 1998


No comments:

Post a Comment