Monday, August 8, 2011

Time After Time after time after time

In 1984, during the course of my first year on the planet one Cyndi Lauper released Time After Time, a lyrically heartwarming, highly sentimental and spell-binding gift of a song that would turn out to be a timeless classic covered by scores of amateur and professional musicians and loved by millions around the globe. So besides Cyndi's clean, simple and great to sing along to version, here are a couple of covers I quite like.

Matchbox 20's 2005 version has won me over completely. By Jove! I believe it just might trump the original! Thanks to Rob Thomas' subliminal voice and magic fingers I have added this timeless track to my list of songs I would like to learn how to play on the guitar.

Then there is a version by INOJ durng the 90s. It's a little bit on the weaker side but I like the beat - the 808's on time:-) and the bass comes through a little bit more strongly than on the original. As a sentimental person I also find the video quite sweet.

And coming full circle back to the 80s is the version by Miles Davis. I love this song. I love jazz. I love Miles. I couldn't ask for more.



I should think it's quite validating for Cyndi Lauper (who still performs to this day) and Rob Hyman (who co-wrote the song) for so many people to cover Time After Time. It means their creative output has lasting resonance with humanity, which we all know to be quite fickle, therefore this should make her proud. I know I would be!


No comments:

Post a Comment