Sunday, May 5, 2013

That I would be timeless

My obsession with the firmament continues unabated. I could stare at the sky for hours, and often do. Then I remember that I am small. I am so very small and yet all of the universe is in me. In the face of billions of years behind me and the billions that will come long after I am dead, nothing really matters. Yet I also know that because of this, everything matters. Absolutely everything. And when I am lucky enough to see a perfect sunrise I am urged to seek significance. On nights so clear I could reach up and touch the stars I am compelled to do something beautiful for the world in return: something that will outlive me so that my story is longer than the duration of my time on earth. I find myself humbled by my insignificance and challenged by my potential. I am made from the stuff that was there at the very beginning of the universe. How very validating and empowering!

The pictures below were taken in Tofo, Mozambique.

"Sunrise offered a very beautiful spectacle; the water was quite unruffled, but the motion communicated by the tides was so great that, although there was not a breath of air stirring, the sea heaved slowly with a grand and majestic motion." - George Grey
































"Three things cannot long be hidden: the sun, the moon and the truth." - Prince Gautama Siddharta, founder of Buddhism.






No comments:

Post a Comment